Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review three functions of mass communication as discussed in the text. Do you Agree?

As stated in the Essentials of Mass Communication Theory, all mass communications functions play a key role in our society.


The first function, Surveillance, is the theory that all mass communication is used to keep in touch with the world, allowing for inspection into people's lives, and to assure that they are well educated in what is happening around them.  I agree with this function as it pertains to my everyday life.  From watching the morning news and listening to radio in the car on my way to work, having this surveillance function of media is how I personally stay in contact with the world everyday.


Entertainment and Play Function of Media:  It has been theorized that mass communication plays a significant role in the entertainment of our society, and it has.  But our text also brings to light the fact that in conjunction with providing entertainment, mass communication also informs the public, making it of significant importance to everyone as well.  I agree that a significant amount of the mass media that I take in daily is for a self gratifying effect.  I thoroughly enjoy media of all types, but entertainment media is on the forefront of the information I personally seek out.


Cultural Continuity Function of Media:  This function has been described in many different ways for centuries.  The bottom line is that we all know that our lives have been touched in a significant way by "Popular Culture".  As each of us are exposed to what is new, exciting and what "Everyone wants", we too form our own opinions and desires by what is presented to us through mass communications.  Whether the messages are appealing to the lowest or highest common denominator in our society, everyone is touched by mass communication of the form, and it does effect our perception of what is important or significant in our lives, and helps us to  form our collective behaviors.  Once again, I agree with this function, because I know that what I have viewed or been subjected to has helped me personally to form opinions about what I consider to be significant element of my culture and my views.

1 comment: