Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Which audience age category is most attractive to today's movie goers?

According to Chapter 7 in our Media/Impact book, today's studios focus on the "Mature" movie goer (those over age 30) and children (who in turn have to bring their parents along to get into the film).  


I would love to be able to interview the head of one of the major studios to see why they focus on these two age groups.  I can only guess that it is because, like I have already stated, children's films are a good draw and money-maker since the parents must pay to get in to bring their children.  And I am speculating that the over 30 crowd is who can afford to go to the theater, since on average the price to enter a film is now $8.50 per person.  


Frequently, like in the TWILIGHT & Harry Potter Series, they must focus on the teenage moviegoers.  When I have reviewed these movies, the theater was definitely filled with teen and 20-somethings.  And I do want to note that every time I go to review a film that is playing at my favorite theater, the CHASE PARK PLAZA Cinema, the theaters are not filled with 30 somethings, usually they are filled with 50 or 60 somethings going for an afternoon viewing or night "out on the town."

No comments:

Post a Comment